These pictures and notes are from a couple weeks ago when filling my days off in Auckland.
Cornwall Park & One Tree Hill
This was a walk about 30 minutes from home here in Auckland that includes sheep in lambing season along the hillside, cattle and like most hills in Auckland is an extinct volcano and was a former Maori pa site (defence during war times). On the one side of the hill is the Auckland Observatory, which I didn't have a chance to visit as it was Sunday and closed of course. The grounds of Cornwall Park were gifted to the public in 1901 by Sir John Logan Campbell, known as the 'father of Auckland', who was a doctor and became a prominent businessman.
One thing that is missing on One Tree Hill (Maungakiekie - the Maori name for 'hill of the kiekie vine') is the lone tree that once stood on the summit for nearly 130 years. Due to vandalism it was removed in 2000 and there are continually talks of a replacement tree. The tall obelisk at the summit is a memorial to John Logan Campbell and he is buried there as well.
It is a pretty expansive area with children's play areas, trails, spots to picnic with public barbecues, an archery range, & several heritage buildings.
Yep, I was this close and I am certain that she is the rogue cow as the others were all across the path behind a fence...... I like her!
This one is about to burst with lamb.... it was odd to see the ewes under the trees giving birth and 'placenta droppings' everywhere as I walked along. A little different than lambing season in winter in Canada, that's for sure.
Right smack dab in the middle of the city
Long Bay to Piripiri Point through the Okura Estuary
This walk included a 30 minute car ride north along Motorway 1 to the North Shore. This area is called Oneroa in Maori and is a marine reserve starting with a long, wide beach and then led me up through winding hills, cow paddock tramping and along limestone bluffs. I combined the clifftop path with the shoreline along slippery rocks and sand through a mix of sun & sprinkling rain. Along my way I enjoyed the salt sea air, waves pooling along the sand, many different species of birds chirping & squawking, winds blowing in the trees, the cattle mooing, sand &, at times, mud squishing beneath my feet. It was a nice day hike at my own picture taking speed in a relaxing environment.
These are pukeko, the swamp hen of New Zealand, we have some near our place. I have been working on figuring out what a group of pukekos is called...... no consensus yet :)
Standing on Pohutukawa Bay beach looking out to the back side of Rangitoto Island, the other side faces Auckland.
The alternating layers of Waitemata sandstone and siltstone cliffs, occassionally I found a cool fossil in some of the layers that jutted out & small waterfalls flowing through the layers
These rock pools had sea crabs and even a couple of starfish..... but since the tide was rolling in I decided to continue my walk and not get caught on the rocks haha
Hope you enjoyed the walks with me! :)
Really enjoyed these walks with you, Jill, especially the ewes lambing on the grass under the trees in Cornwall Park and One Tree Hill. What a nostalgia trip those lambing ewes are. I missed the lambing season when I was there last March. Also enjoyed the walk along Pohutukawa Bay especially the pictures with you in the foreground. Please keep sharing your travels with us on this blog. It will also provide a great album of memories for you and us in the future. Will skype you on Wed. at 6:00 a.m EDST (10:00 pm your time, I think:).
ReplyDelete