December 4th – Christchurch
Back up with my friend, Fredriek for her final day in New Zealand. Today was a day spent wandering the streets & Saturday morning markets of artsy Christchurch. With Rolleston House across from the Arts Centre & right near the amazing Botanic Gardens, everything has felt so central. With a lazy day of taking in the buskers & Scottish pipers & drummers at the Cathedral square along with coffee & catching up, I watched the trams loop the circuit, some decked out in holiday garland & lights. Most of the afternoon was spent lounging in the magnificent Rose Garden of the Botanic Gardens & sunning. For a final send off, we treated ourselves to a fantastic meal out at Calendron along the Avon River & watched the punting of the boats.
Will do more exploring during my many days here in Christchurch, Santa’s Parade tomorrow afternoon. Definitely weird to have Christmas carols about frolicking in the snow (which will not happen here) & fake pine Christmas trees decked out while I am wearing shorts, tshirt & sandals
December 5th – Christchurch
Today was more wandering the streets of Christchurch….. the Arts Centre, Sunday markets & wonderful weather. It also included the Festival of Cycling through some of the main streets which meant a little less tram activity. The streets were busy with activity of the family kind as today was the Santa Parade. So at 2pm with 100, 000 of my closest Christchurch friends I lined the parade route with kids young & old. This parade had 120 floats/associations & was 2 hours long!! The poor little girl beside me fell asleep in her Dad’s arms before Santa arrived at the end. But it did make me think of years gone by playing in the band on the TDSS band float in the New Liskeard parade. I remember freezing my fingers off & asking for more blankets…… would not have been the case here! Then off for more reading & relaxing in another section of the Botanic Gardens, ……. This may become a daily event
December 6-8th – more & probably too many days in Christchurch
Avoiding spending money on excursions that I don’t overly want to do means………… more wandering of downtown Christchurch. More taking in the Cathedral square reading a good book . I also attended the memorial service for the 29 men lost in the Pike River Mine explosions, close to Greymouth, a town I passed through on the West Coast a couple weeks ago. The massive Cathedral was packed with over a 1000 people & more outside watching on big screens, an emotional service but also so telling on how the communities of Greymouth & Christchurch are linked, not only by the TranzAlpine railway but also how the Canterburians & West Coasters truly do help each other out………….. which I am also realizing Kiwis in general do too. It was fitting that it rained the rest of that day, spending most of my time in the Christchurch library, enjoying the free internet & catching up with friends & family. Wish I had more to report from Christchurch but realistically it was probably a good spot to come back down a little from travel/vacation reality for abit Getting excited to leave for PNG in just a little over a week!
No comments:
Post a Comment