Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting to Ukarumpa, Papua New Guinea


Flying into Brisbane


Okay friends and family, yes I am alive and well & am now back in Auckland settling in and anxiously awaiting my Mom's arrival for a month long visit here in NZ!  I had a FANTASTIC time in Ukarumpa with Uncle Bev, Aunt Donna and Ellie.    Although this experience starts back on December 15th I have been unable to upload my photos or blog due to the restricted internet bandwith, cost and not wanting to use up all of the internet time for the PNG Preaters.  I have none the less been writing down my thoughts and experiences & there are many that photos and explanations will still not do it justice.  None the less, I will try to upload these in a somewhat logical fashion.  There will be several chunks and hopefully the photos will all upload, picture me in the public library on slow internet.  Love and miss you and am working on the next new adventure!!






Auckland – Ukarumpa




With a bright and early start, Auckland International Airport is where this adventure begins taking Pacific Blue flight DJ187 for 3 hours 20 minutes from Auckland to Brisbane. I made it through checkin/security/customs/inspection in one hour, beat that Pearson International!! Once settling into my window seat, I always remember how much I love flying having the land whizzing by and being able to take in all the geography of the land below. Sometimes I really wish I was a pilot as I would enjoy it every time I took to the air. The clouds & being above the clouds seems to be one of my favourite parts of life. Something about feeling so small and inconsequential way up there in the clouds gets me everytime. Needless to say I realized on takeoff that I had not taken a flight since arriving in Auckland back in May. I also felt like I had more knots in my stomach or anxiety than I remember last………….. but hmmmmm……… I did have a flight in a very small plane in November over Fox Glacier haha that did not end with me landing back on the ground in the plane but having just jumped out of it at 12000ft! no wonder my body is a little nervous thinking that might happen again  none the less, part of me cannot believe that this day has finally come where I am going to visit family, my PNG family of Uncle Bev, Aunt Donna & cousin Ellie. Family that I have never gone to visit, either in PNG or while in Thunder Bay, they have always come to us. I am soooooo excited to get to PNG! As we left the green rugged coastline of New Zealand, with bluff cliffs dropping to the crushing waves of the blue Tasman Sea, we were headed up & off to Australia.

Brisbane Airport

Amazing coloured waters of every shade of blue and green arching around small islands with huge sand bars along them causing the ocean to just stop. Green grasses and then the city of Brisbane stretching out to the mountains. Sure the nice, clean airport with sunny terminals with multiple eating and shopping spots with clean bathrooms is always an A+ and may taint my view but I feel surprisingly comfortable in transit here in Brisbane.

Next connection is Pacific Blue flight DJ191 from Brisbane to Port Moresby, 2 hours and 40min. (Quick side note to always thank Pam for the brilliant use of and idea of handiwipes for the ‘shower’ needs of mid-flights!!). As the city of Brisbane with its industries and roads was wisked away, awesome long stretching white sandy beaches & peninsulas popped up with boats dotting the magnificent waters.

As we approached Port Moresby, even the water is different from the coastline of Brisbane. With green rugged hills and small villages along the green water with tree covered mountains flying through rain and watching rain stream down from low lying clouds in the not so distant land. I disembarked, paid by $50 AUD/$100 Kina for my 60 day Visa, claimed my bag, had my customs card declaring my gifts read, no xray required and I am on my way. SIL member Mosleh picked up myself and another couple, the Larsons from Sweden. Shuttled over to the SIL Hangar and we were weighed and our bags loaded onto the P2-SIA, the 12 seater plane called the King Air. This plane was already loaded with ++Christmas presents/cards and left room for 5 of us to fly up to Ukarumpa. Capt. Rick Nachtigal (whose daughter Carmin is best friends with Ellie) flew us up. While waiting in the SIL Hangar I watched the helicopters (the big blue & yellow one – Australia McDermott Aviation) land and take off as well as the other planes prepped for departure. I think at this point it finally clicked at just how close I was to seeing my family. The ride up from Port Moresby was uneventful but eventful in the cool experience it is to fly in such a plane, feeling turbulence and seeing just how the pilots can adjust the altitude to avoid or minimize turbulence is pretty amazing. Due to the thick clouds and rain with some GPS guidance and clever spotting by Rick, the Aiyura landing strip was spotted and we were on descent. Such a fun experience and I can see Aunt Donna & Ellie as we turn in. I made it!! Now for a fun month of family and Christmas holiday togetherness 

No comments:

Post a Comment