Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Manly Beach

Manly Beach


Manly Saturday March 5th


A day in the life of me becoming a beach bum on Manly Beach. It likely consists of starting with the morning walk along the creamy brown sand beach with wind blowing in my hair and waves crashing in with many surfers riding them in. Yep, I think we all realize that is exactly how I started my day and, quite honestly, could become quite the nice morning routine. Must admit though that I would likely be one of the few girls out there with the boys (and I should mention super hot boys that are super fit, tanned and constantly just chilled about life in general!!) getting my day started the right way in wetsuit and with my prized possession…. my surfboard. (No, I have not purchased a surfboard but can’t you just picture it………………. )

Anyways back to my day, I relaxed at the beach watching the life saving surf clubs setup their gear for the day wearing their red and yellow gear, getting orange safety boats, paddleboards, surfboards and flags ready for the day and then it was off for them to warm up by running the beach……….. with no shirts on. I know I seem fixated on it but I have never seen so many fit, tanned people, male or female. Everyone is constantly running, working out and keeping fit here! It is great and inspiring all at the same time  After watching the surfers some more, the experts with the fancy moves, cutting in and out, those waiting for the perfect wave and the surf school rookies looking a little out of sorts and a bit afraid of the water. Being amongst the families with little kids learning to use their scooters and those that have moved on to skateboards, it all just has such a relaxed feel. I passed by the beach volleyball tournament and realized that everyone, yes everyone wears a bikini no matter what the size of person so that every inch of the body can get tanned of course. I am probably the most tanned I have ever been in my life and I look gleamingly white compared to this crew.

So even with it being a cloudy day with a crisp breeze meaning less people on the beach the little area of Manly was still bustling. With shops like Ripcurl, Quiksilver, Roxy and other surfgear places, nestled amongst cafes it was a nice stroll around town. I even found some good finds at the Saturday market before the rain came in for a bit.

After some much needed groceries, I walked the length of Manly Beach from Queenscliff through North & South Steyne beaches down to Shelly Beach passing through the Cabbage Tree Bay Aquatic Reserve. This Aquatic Reserve is a walled in section of the ocean which I have noticed a number of areas along the coast do, very cool. Along the way I spot snorkelers and also scubadivers not that far off shore and also paddleboarders who are surprisingly steady riding in on the ways. Climbing up the peak along Shelly Beach gave some great views of the cliffs and Blue Fish Point in the distance. Continuing the walk I passed up into Sydney Harbour National Park with its native plants, shrubs, trees and distinct cream/orange/red rocks. Up there the condos and life below seemed so far away. I carried on up to the North Head of Sydney Harbour, listening to kookaburras heckle each other. The sound they make is supposedly laughter sounding but I first thought it was a small child retching. After panic subsided I realized it must be the bird and then its partner returned the odd sound and confirmed that yep, just the birds . The North Head has great views of the waves crashing into the cliffs, panoramic looking out into the Tasman Sea, down to the South Head and further down the coast and back in through the bays and coves to the downtown core of Sydney with the Skytower in the distance. That and to see all the sailboats returning from a great day out on the water and of course to see one of the P&O cruise ships leaving the Harbour. I then headed back towards Manly, stopping at Collins Bay beach which I thoroughly enjoyed having the entire inlet all to myself. Back into Manly and toes in the water walk back to the Manly Beach House

So far, Manly ranks up there in the my favourite places in the world category  and is the epitome of beach town!





Manly – Manly Scenic Walk Sunday March 6th, 2011




With a slow start to the day but none the less began with my morning walk along the beach. With it being a bright sunny morning there are even more runners, surfers, families and the like out for the weekend jaunt. After stopping in at an aboriginal art gallery, being mesmerized by the dot detail and leaf motif designs, I learned a great deal from the curator on the different colourings, line designation, aerial map dot designs, use of colour and animals. It was all very interesting and thought provoking for my Sunday stroll.

Then it was on to the Manly Scenic walk, apparently one of the most spectacular walks around Sydney. It held up to is grandeur starting in Manly Cover watching the ferry from circular quay in Sydney Harbour arrive and depart like clockwork. Since it was a gorgeous, bright sunny day I was not alone on this walk but since there are so many beaches and reserves it definitely did not feel crowded and even the lookouts were not busy  I continued past Fairlight beach, North Harbour Reserve, Forty Baskets Beach, Reef Beach and up through part of the Sydney Harbour National Park to the top of Dobroyd Head. From here, you can see so far and it really does encompass that Sydney is a city of sails. There were several hundred boats out on the water, mostly sailboats but some HUGE yachts as well a couple kayaks. Then it was on through crater cover and on to Castle Rock with sections of deep overhanging eroded rock . The last section included Clontarf Beach and Sandy & Firsher Bays before arriving at the Spit Bridge to catch the bus back to Manly. With accomplishing my 10km for the day I wasn’t all that keen on turning around and doing it over again in the hot sun. Again don’t worry I had/have my sunscreen on!

Of course, this day was topped off with a swim in the surf and a lie on the beach…… working on the tan and I was not the most gleaming white person out there by far!



It’s on to Bondi tomorrow 





No comments:

Post a Comment