Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Where to begin

So I will admit this is my first posting on this my first and only blog.  So I thought what to write about, where to begin? 

I could share about how awesome my friends and family are.  Friends that make blogs for their non techy friends, in order to share and update their lives. I could talk about friends that I love dearly and truly call them family now too.  I could talk about my coworkers who I consider friends and family and the many stories that arise there.  But I guess all that fun, joy, ridiculousness and good times would take up too much room for now. 

Instead, I should perhaps begin at why the need for a blog.  I am becoming a Caniwi.  What's that you say?  Well the true definition would be a child from a Canadian parent and a Kiwi (New Zealander) parent.  So, I guess I will be a transplanted Caniwi  :) 

This process has been months in the making, years in the dreaming. 
Qualifications and steps to get to this point include, but are not limited to:
  • Mulitiple passport photos (taken in many sittings, some better than others.  If you have seen my driver's licence photo, you know what I am talking about)
  • Getting my International Driver's permit (driving on the opposite side of the road might go against everything I have trained my body to do post night shift stupor)
  • International English test(s)  - (that's right, completing a 4 part English test with reading, listening, writing and speaking components, to go live in another English speaking country) and doing it twice since I ritey no enklish gudd
  • Obtaining my New Zealand Nursing Registration & Practicing Certificates
    • Bothering McMaster for not only transcripts but course outlines and essay descriptions from 2000-2004
    • Harrassing the College of Nurses of Ontario for proof of registration and good standing
    • Obtaining RCMP Police Clearance (yep, I am clear whoooof)
    • Lovingly batting my eyelashes at my coworkers and clinical leaders for professional references
    • Assisting my best friend, Julie, in writing a personal reference, without feeling like 'yeah, me. Team Jill rocks!'
    • Updating every immunization known to man and documenting it out the wazoo.
  • Completing my 30 month New Zealand work visa (which seemed like mission impossible at times)
    • Hand cramping from documenting the 56 page requirements
    • Chest xray (TB free!)
    • More bloodwork (picture a cute elderly woman sizing me up as the biggest whore as the lab tech yells down the hall at her colleague 'What containers do the HIV and syphillis bloodwork go in again?') and discussing my PAP smear results with a complete stranger and his team at the immigration department over speakerphone
    • Multiple visits to my family MD, some more pleasant than others
  • Notarizing EVERY piece of information in this process.  Big shout out goes to my mom, Ted and Andy from Farley Law Office for this IMMENSE help and cost saving setup.
  • Twiddling of thumbs -  this is what happens when you are waiting for really important documents to come to you from New Zealand via the post (mail)
I can now say that as of 5:30pm Sunday May 16th, 2010 (the one way ticket was booked with slight heart palpitations!!)  I will be departing from Toronto, (via L.A.) and arriving in Auckland, New Zealand Tuesday May 18th at 6:30a.m.  Nearly 21 hours in total air time, but it will be worth it.  I look forward to working on ward 27B, Haematology/Oncology, Starship Children's Hospital and to exploring, discovering and enjoying everything New Zealand has to offer!!  :)

To keep everyone up to date on my goings on, travels, plans, photos and adventures, I thought this blog would be one of the best ways. Just a quick note of thanks for all the support and love along the way!!  Many and all visitors are welcome and encouraged to come and stay with me in Auckland or anywhere in New Zealand, for that matter.  I will update where that location will be in a future posting

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog already. I wish you much love and success in becoming a Caniwi. They are so lucky to be getting my one and only Jillywog:) xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete