I MADE IT TO AUCKLAND!!
This above skyline shot is from my walk yesterday down to the Prince's Wharf. I have been exploring on foot the downtown CBD (Central Business District). Everyone refers to it as that as Auckland is huge and spread out over a mass area.
Things I have learned already.... it is so green here but it really is fall, there are maple trees with bug huge leaves (but not our usual bright red, they only get to an oak leaf colour).
Pedestrian traffic still works like the roads due.......... on the oppostie side than I am use to. I discovered that on my run this morning, is still a conscious thought and decision required :) Running here is a little different as it is all hills, it is like a constant hills training session! I ran to work this morning and the building looks really nice I am sure I will have more updates when I actually start work there but not for a couple more weeks.
I had a great time at the grocery store yesterday too.......... the produce section alone was fun, discovering new fruits and prices for certain things, simply insane! Oh and I bought the biggest kiwis I have ever seen. Milk only comes in jugs.......... Original, Lite, Trim and Very Trim.... ? I went with the Lite I will update later if is was the right way to go. I could have spent hours there, next time.
I also learned that there is a flight centre on every corner, seriously. Oh and looking at the clothing stores, prices are pretty comparable except for shoes. Ballet flats start at like $80, crazy eh? oh and the sizes. So for instance a tshirt I usually fit a small-medium. Here I feel like I will barely fit in a large. But yet the people who walk around do not appear to be extremely tiny or small (some are even the opposite :) ). That one I cannot figure out yet!
Oh and from my 21st floor apartment here at the Metropolis Tower, I have learned that each night there are skyline helicopter tours that start promptly at 7 and last an hour. I know this particularly since I thought they were landing in my apartment the first time I heard it!!
Oh and how brilliant is this the bank and post office (postshop) are combined.... that's right send a letter and get some cash :) oh and I also applied for my IRD Inland Revenue Department # (our version of a SIN so I can get paid!) at the same place, SUPER!!
Oh and the money.............
It is so cool, with, thank goodness, different colours, different sizes, transparent windows and governors and on the back, BIRDS!! The coins are neat too.
I have been so happy to connect with both my Dad and best friend, Julie on Skype yesterday. It was really great to see and talk to them. So everyone go get and log on to skype!! :) and thank you for the wonderful well wishes and vibes on facebook!!
Alright today's mission is to set up my banking, explore the neighbourhood of Parnell and not get caught in too much rain :)
More to come
I had no idea you were taking on this adventure!!! How exciting! I will be checking in for sure to see how you are doing!
ReplyDeleteI love the new pics Jillywog! I Can't wait to hear/ read more soon:)
ReplyDeleteIt all sounds so exciting but overwhelming at the same time Jill! Your Dad will keep his laptop 'on the ready' for Skype chats anytime!! Miss you already!!! xo
ReplyDelete