Auckland
Well as some of you are learning I am turning this from a work & travel experience to a more just travel experience :). I am wrapping up work here in Auckland at the end of October & plan to travel NZ before visiting family in Papua New Guinea over the holidays. In the meantime I am visiting & enjoying my favourite places in Auckland. Even on a rainy, blustery day I get such joy from walking through the Auckland Domain. With its greenery of rugby fields & different types of trees I will miss it as my commute from Newmarket to work & back. The Wintergardens, which are meticulously kept & different everytime I visit, are definitely one of my favourite & calming places I have ever discovered.
Gates of the Auckland Domain, opening near the Auckland City Hospital
View from the bleachers by the rugby fields
Flowers of the Wintergardens
I have never enjoyed taking pictures of flowers as much as here, I feel like Grandpa Johnston is with me everytime I am come. He would have truly loved it, & I hope my pictures are half as good as his would have been :)
The whole section of orchids & lillies reminds me of Grandma Johnston (miss you).
Walking home by the Auckland Museum just as the rain had passed
These may not be calallies but that is what they remind me of & therefore, remind me of Pam. They are on the side of Mt Hobson, another of my favourite spots.
View from Mt Hobson as the rain passes on northward. It is said that New Zealand is the land of a 1000 rainbows & is because of this precisely. It is always raining somewhere & sunny somewhere.
This is the cow paddock on the side of Mt Hobson, the walk includes great views of the city, greenery, cows & sometimes a cowpie memory for your shoes when you are busy taking pictures instead of watching where you are walking :)
Will keep you up to date with my future plans as they get firmed up.
Thanks for the beautiful photos and interesting commentary, Jill! That Auckland Domain beside your Starship hospital is an awesome reminder of the importance the NZ (and our Canadian) British ancestors placed on green space and gardens in the midst of their cities. I often notice that difference even between Cdn. and U.S. cities especially waterfronts. The Kiwis do take it to a higher level, however, with the cow pastures. Nobody else has parks with pastures. They do not waste natural resources, ever. Your flower photos also remind me a of your Grandpa Johnston's love for flowers. I'm sure he's also enjoying your Caniwi Adventures blog. Thanks so much, Jill, for keeping us posted on what you're seeing in NZ. Love, Dad and Pat (& Po)
ReplyDelete