Waiheke Island - Onetangi beach
Only a 40 minute ferry ride from Auckland, Waiheke is another world away. Its many beaches & multitude of vineyards (creating mostly red wines) on green hills & rock soils makes it a relaxing way of life. A much needed escape from Auckland is right around the corner!
The pictures here are from a 3 day visit to the island from this past weekend, my first real solo travel adventure. & as many of you know, I am wrapping up my work here in Auckland at Starship Children's Hospital at the end of October & commencing my travel time throughout NZ. I will be getting on the magic bus (yep, that's actually what it is called) at the beginning of November & touring the north & south islands before returning to Auckland to fly out to Papua New Guinea for my month long, greatly anticipated visit with the PNG Preaters in Ukarumpa over the holiday season. :)
My 3 nights at the kina backpackers at onetangi beach (had the most paper thin walls ever... necessitating the need for an earplugs purchase from the local pharmacy!) had the most gorgeous views & each night I would have a walk down the beach at dusk.
Hiking up to the hostel included these......
184 steps!! I definitely burned off the great food & wine I had
Waves rolling in at Onetangi beach
Dusk skyline at Onetangi beach
morning at Onetangi beach
So I attempted to book myself in on a guided kayak tour, but those don't run until after Labour Day (which here in NZ is not for another couple of weeks). So Ross (of course the owner of Ross Sea Kayak Adventures) outfitted me for my solo kayak trip around the Matiatia harbour. It was the most sunny, fantasic day & felt great to be out on the Hauraki Gulf waters. I didn't tip, get hit by any other boats, the ferry waves did not sway me nor was I attacked by a swarm of bees (Ross felt the need to mention that this had happened once in his 25 years operating the business). It was a great time :)
The faraway shot of downtown Auckland from the Hauraki Gulf.
After a couple hours on the water, seeing & nearly poking with my paddle the biggest stingray I have evern seen!, I trekked the coastal walkway for a couple hours from the Matiatia harbour back to the village of Oneroa.
Fullers ferry pulling into the Matiatia wharf.
Close up of the Pohutakawa flower
The Pohutakawa tree (known as the NZ christmas tree) is starting to bloom with the warmer weather, Waiheke apparently looks nearly completely red in parts once these trees are in full bloom.
I had to stop & take a picutre as well a a breather after walking up this ridge, the sheep certainly have a great view!
Views from Oneroa beach
Looking out from Oneroa beach to the Coromandel Peninsula
Little Oneroa beach, that I made it to just before the tide rolled in
The winds picked up for this night walk along Onetangi beach, the longest beach on the island. I loved the sound of the waves crashing in, so thunderous yet calming in a way.
My toes found their way into the sand of Palm Beach.
It was so hot, I was in shorts & my tank top sitting to read my book on Palm beach & watch the kids play in the sand, run into the waves & play & hide & seek amongst the rock outcroppings.
This spot is the Esplanade.
Cable Bay vineyards
After walking the day before along the coastal walkway, I told myself I would return to the Cable Bay winery that sat on the top of the ridge for a glass of wine. & that is what I did, I treated myself to one glass!! & sat to enjoy the warm sun & view.
Oh & I thought I would point out that the first car that I should happen to rent here in NZ.............. ends up being, without requesting, a Toyota Corolla!! How perfect, she & I traveled every spot imaginable on the island, even stopping in at the Saturday market in the village of Ostend to peruse the arts, crafts, produce & taste the delectables, like crepes & olives grown native to the island.
Hike along the Newton Reserve by Oneroa beach
Rainbow shot along the farm ridges & dirt roads of Cactus Bay
My return to Waiheke on the ferry left me feeling refreshed, having enjoyed the sun, water, wind, beaches, great food, wine & walks. Just what I wanted & needed.
Check out
No comments:
Post a Comment