Saturday November 13th – Franz Josef
Super early start (5:30am) for a 6:15 pickup for Skydive NZ out of Fox Glacier. With clouds lingering over Mt Cook, Mt Tasman & Franz Josef we were told to wait 45 minutes & see. Basically torture for more anticipation & lack of sleep. Well off we went to Fox Glacier to see still if the clouds would clear, we being the young Danish couple, Renee the super over achiever of accountant/lawyer from Chicago & myself. It was too funny as Renee’s anxiety & worry actually made me calmer & more collected about the whole adventure. I didn’t want to be like her haha. So we got to the Skydive NZ office……… one of the mobile homes along this small landing strip in the township, not town, of Fox Glacier. Yes, the other mobile homes are for the tandem skydivers, the young couple who help run the business & the other driver. I am pretty sure it is an 8 person, tops, operation. & I LOVED it!! Not commercialized like other places, & we were strapped into our suits & gear after signing our lives away on waiver form releases. Then it was buddying up to my new best friend, CJ who after meeting for 30 seconds put my life literally into his hands (more like harness). A little demonstration on how to hang myself out of the ‘Skywagon 185’ Cessna airplane & what to do with my body so I don’t freak out or kill CJ & myself & we are off. Renee & her buddy, Ollie & CJ, & myself are squished into the plane then speeding down the runway (asphalt/grass) guided by the pilot, Captain (yep, that’s his name) off into the sky. Such a smooth ride as we climbed higher & higher, watching the pastures & cows get smaller & smaller with the clouds & Southern Alps getting closer & closer. With my camera in tow (the only company in NZ to allow you to bring your own camera but seriously I was too busy taking it all in to get quality photos hence buying the photo package to prove, yes indeed I did it!) I felt like I was part of the clouds hovering up by Mt Cook & Mt Tasman with Franz Josef & Fox glacier right within reach. With the scenic flight coming to an end, I was trying to keep myself calm realizing this was the first time I would be getting back to land by an entirely different method!! CJ, a former dentist from Brazil (yep that’s right, I couldn’t have made that one up), was amazing at calming me down & pumping me up at the same time. I honestly had a smile from ear to ear the whole time, even as the door was opened & was flung out the side.
Incredible
Amazing
What a thrill
Crazy
Wicked
Sweet As
Just some of the things I was screaming during my freefall down from 12 000 feet. With goggles & strap hat feeling like they were ripping off my head (& pictures to prove that my cheeks were thinking the same thing), I remained in the arms & legs out position CJ had taught me. Then poof…………..parachute open & complete silence……………….So quiet, so beautiful, so stunning……… Guiding back down & spinning back to earth just somehow knowing that CJ has it all covered. & of course he did. More pictures & just a complete adrenaline release as I returned to earth to the landing spot.
So much fun!! I said if I was ever to skydive it would be here in NZ & I think this was the place to do it……. Who knew I was such an adrenaline junkie, eh? Totally worth it!
Skydive NZ – the company logo = I had the attitude, Skydive NZ had the altitude and the result was completing the most awesome Tandem Skydive over scenery unique in the world
After that massive & I do mean massive adrenaline rush, I knew I needed to walk/hike to burn it off. So off I went out of town along the one lane bridge over the Waiho River gorge out for the scenic view of the Franz Josef glacier along the Sentinel Rock Walk. What a sight to see & cannot wait to hike it tomorrow. Back into town & out to the Tatere Tunnels, a hike that included my headlamp through the former tunnels dug back in gold rush times of the area to funnel the glacier water from Fox & Franz Josef to assist the gold miners. All & all a great day!
So in the small town of Franz Josef, with there being only 400 people, there is no hospital (so no ped haem/onc job opportunities, darn) & I am pretty sure the ‘clinic’ on the map of the town is actually the volunteer fire department building holding the firetruck & makeshift ambulance. It is quite clear that if/when there is any real emergency here that the individuals would be airlifted out via one of the dozen or more helicopters or small engine planes used in the area for the scenic flights & heli-hike tours.
Tomorrow it is a full-day hike on Franz Josef & Monday on to Wanaka. Have I mentioned I love it here!
No comments:
Post a Comment