So what did I learn today............. even if it is bright and sunny without a cloud in the sky, that will change quickly. ALWAYS take your raincoat... & maybe an umbrella too.
Today, I travelled by Fullers ferry to Devonport, a village just across the bay and then on to Rangitoto Island.
Wearing my new green raincoat, I guess one can never have too many.
Rangitoto Island
Much like most of the hills and mountains in Auckland, Rangitoto Island is a now extinct volcano that erupted over 600 years ago. In my walk I enjoyed the terrain of lava in many forms and at many levels of steepness
Walking up to the summit of Rangitoto
There are no animals on the island and few birds making it a very quiet hike.
This shot is much steeper than it looks.
Inbetween rain showers and a rainbow to prove it.
Summit of Rangitoto Island - Looking back at Auckland's downtown core.
Although hard to tell, this is inbetween rain showers but it sure is windy.
Walking the crater summit of Rangitoto Island
Looking into the crater of Rangitoto Island
Walking down the trail, don't fall off the edge
Even though along the path, I still had to watch my footing.
Taking a break at the Green Fernery
Waiting for the ferry return to Auckland
Resting my feet
A great hike on a gorgeous day.
Jill, sure glad that you're taking time to see some of the interesting sights around Auckland. That Devonport ferry trip was one that I tried (and failed) to fit into my schedule there last March. Even on a rainy day, it looks like a really intriguing outing. Love, Dad.
ReplyDelete