Friday, May 28, 2010

Winter Gardens & Fernery

The Winter Gardens of the Auckland Domain
Having first discovered this place when I was out for a run, I knew I had to come back with camera in tow. 



The biggest lily pads I have ever seen



The colours speak for themselves



Taking it all in

















The fernery.............



with over 100 species of ferns.......



most of these are native to new zealand.....



including the silver fern....






with all this green, one might think that New Zealand's favourite colour would be that.  Check out this link

of New Zealand's National Rugby team. the All Blacks.  I would say it's All Blacks all the way. :)







It's fall and soon to be winter here in Auckland.  There won't be snow but plenty of wind and rain, I am told. 

cheers

1 comment:

  1. Jill, Thanks for sharing these amazing gardens and even more on FB. We're really enjoying them (and glad that you're getting out to these uniquely NZ sights). Not many cities I've been to anywhere have the huge appreciation for trees and plants that NZ cities have. They may be a young country but they sure have preserved alot of their native plants and trees and planted alot of beautiful gardens with flowers from all over the world. Hope to soon connect on Skype.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete